Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Neal's Pre-Trip Thoughts

When thinking about what to do during my last free summer, there were many options from research, working, and traveling. After hearing the about the a multitude of international opportunities last fall, I chose to make the most of my summer by volunteering with the Himalayan Health Exchange Program in India and doing some traveling on my own. The program takes us into the area around the Indo-Nepalese border where we will set up medical clinics for the villagers in the area. I am excited to be able to practice and use some of the skills that I have learned in medical school and as an EMT to help these people. This also has a special connection for me since I am of Indian decent. I was thrilled to hear that there were 7 other students from my class going on this program as well. Since that time we have been busy with trip preparations. First came buying the tickets and when to go. Next came what to do if we go early. A group of 5 of us are going traveling the week before the program, which should be a blast. Currently we are in the midst of travel clinic appointments, buying supplies, and packing all while trying to finish up the last block of 1st year of med school. I really enjoy hiking and going on nature walks, so I really am also looking forward to visiting this unique and diverse ecological area. However, this will be my first extended wilderness activity so there definitely will be some challenges faced. Of the group, I consider myself the experienced Indian Traveler and hobbyist field botanist. It will be fun introducing the rest of the group to Indian culture and pointing out random plants along the way. I really know that I will be able to get a lot out of this trip and am looking forward to serving these people and learning a great deal about myself.

No comments: